This Privacy Notice was last updated February 2021
This Privacy notice explains what information Thompson Bros (Esher) Ltd. (‘Garsons’, ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’) gather about you, what we use that information for, and who we give that information to. It also sets out your rights in relation to your information and who you can contact for more information or queries.
We take data protection very seriously and we are committed to protecting your personal information. This Privacy Notice describes how we handle personal information collected through our website www.garsons.co.uk and by any other means.
It is our policy to collect only the minimum information required from you. If you believe we have collected excessive information about you, please contact us to raise any concerns you may have.
‘Personal information’ is anything that enables you to be identified or identifiable, e.g. your name, postal/email address and telephone number.
In this Privacy notice your personal information is sometimes called “personal data”. We sometimes collectively refer to handling, collecting, protecting or storing your personal information as ‘processing’.
Although you do not have to provide any of your personal information to us, if we ask you to do so and you refuse, we may be unable to provide you with the information, goods or services you want from us.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Below are some examples of how you may provide personal information to us:
- Purchasing items at Garsons Garden Centres, including items purchased at Garsons Farm Shops
- Purchasing items or arranging table bookings at Restaurants ‘The Orangery Tea House at Garsons’
- Purchasing Garsons Pick Your Own Farm Passes
- Purchasing and booking tickets for Garsons events and activities
- Ordering, reserving, and purchasing items such as plants, furniture, and other items by telephone
- Ordering and purchasing items such as plants, furniture, and other items to be home-delivered by us
- Viewing and browsing Garsons main website and ticketing site, our sites have cookies to capture user behaviour and navigation data
- Applying and joining our Garsons Card membership and logging into your Garsons Card profile where you will be able to view your purchase history
- Subscribing to Garsons marketing communications such as emailers
- When you engage with us on social media
- Submitting CVs or work history information
- When you enter Garsons competitions, activities, prize-giveaways etc
- Contacting us for further information
- Providing us with business cards or other contact information
- When you contact us by any means with queries, product feedback and complaints etc.
- When you fill in forms. For example, an accident health and safety form may contain your personal data you provide us with and kept on file
- Our car parks and garden centres have CCTV systems operating for security purposes. These systems may record your image during your visit. We may pass on footage or stills to a third party such as insurance companies or police if requested to do so.
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
When you provide personal information to us, we may use it for any of the purposes described in this Privacy Notice or as stated at the point of collection (or as obvious from the context of collection), including:
- To provide you with the items you have ordered from us
- To deliver items using our Home Delivery Service
- To administer and manage our website, including to understand how people use the features and functions of our website in order to improve the user experience
- To develop our business and services
- To conduct quality and risk management reviews
- To monitor and enforce compliance with our policies; and/or
- Any other purposes for which you provided the information to us, including any of the purposes given in the ‘Collection of personal information’ section above
We do not collect personal information for sale to or use by third parties.
LEGAL GROUNDS FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We rely on one or more of the following processing conditions:
- To perform our contractual obligations to you: To satisfy our legitimate interests in the effective delivery of information, items and services to you and in the effective and lawful operation of our businesses (where these do not interfere with your rights)
- To satisfy any legal obligations to which we are subject: (Where no other condition for processing is available) if you have agreed to us processing your personal information
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security in order to protect personally identifiable information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction.
Garsons adheres to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS).
Only authorised persons are provided access to personally identifiable information we have collected, and such individuals have agreed to maintain the confidentiality of this information.
Although we use appropriate security measures once we have received your personal data, the transmission of data over the internet (including by e-mail) is never completely secure.
We endeavour to protect personal data, but we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to or by us.
SHARING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may transfer, share or disclose the personal data we collect from you to trusted third parties for:
- The purposes for which the information has been submitted, such as the delivery of communications or purchases
- The purposes listed above under ‘Use of Personal Information’
- The delivery of items you have ordered from us to you
- The administration and maintenance of our Garsons Card and website and/or other internal or administrative purposes
It is our policy to share your personal information only with other organisations that are bound to maintain appropriate levels of security and confidentiality, to process personal information only as instructed by us, and to flow those same obligations down to their sub-processors.
We may share your information with trusted third-party organisations such as:
- External printing and mailing companies
- Delivery couriers
- IT companies such as our website host and developers
- Marketing software companies such as email campaign providers
- Our EPOS system provider
Your personal information will not be transferred to and stored outside the country where you are located. We may disclose your personal information to law enforcement and other government agencies as required by and/or in accordance with applicable law.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will retain your personal information only for as long as we need it, given the purposes for which it was collected, or as required to do so by law.
Normally, this means we will retain your personal information for 6 years. For more information please contact us, details below.
We keep personal data until a user unsubscribes or requests that we delete that information. If you choose to unsubscribe from our newsletter we may keep certain limited information about you so that we may honour your request.
Where we are legally required to obtain your explicit consent to provide you with marketing materials, we will only provide you with such marketing materials if you have provided consent for us to do so.
If you opt into any subscriptions or memberships, you will receive automated emails as confirmation. You may also receive marketing communications such as emails and or printed materials. You may unsubscribe at any time.
RIGHTS IN RELATION TO YOUR INFORMATION
You have certain rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you. In particular, you have the right to:
- Request a copy of personal information we hold about you
- Ask that we update the personal information we hold about you, or correct such personal information that you think is incorrect or incomplete
- Ask that we delete personal information that we hold about you, or restrict the way in which we use such personal information
- Object to our processing of your personal information; and/or
- Withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information (to the extent such processing is based on consent and consent is the only permissible basis for processing)
If you would like to exercise these rights or understand if these rights apply to you, please contact us.
We understand the importance of protecting children's privacy and we never knowingly collect personal information about individuals under the age of 18. Children’s activities and events may require children’s first name and occasionally age, but contact details if needed will be those of the guardian. Providing children’s data is voluntary. Data will only be kept for a limited time and will then be destroyed confidentially.
Photography or video footage will never be taken or used without first obtaining permission from whoever is responsible for the individual. A Consent & Release form will be used, to record permissions.
What are cookies? Cookies are very small, completely safe and secure text files that are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or application. Your web browser (e.g. Safari, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) then sends these files back to the website or application every time you return so that your user personal settings can be recognised. Cookies are useful and help website developers and companies improve your website browsing experience. Some cookies are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features.
Other types of cookies are used to monitor and improve our website’s functionality and performance.
- the IP address of the visitor
- the date and time of the visit
- the URL of the referring site (the site from which the visitor originates)
- the pages visited on our website
- information about the browser used (type and version, operating system, etc.)
We use technical information and cookies to facilitate your visit on the website and to optimise the performance and user experience of the website. Cookies can be placed both by Garsons itself and by other parties with whom Garsons cooperates. Below is an overview of the types of cookies that are placed through the Garsons website:
Functional cookies: Cookies that are necessary for the website to function properly and to provide a requested service. These cookies are used to save certain user and preferred settings, to save any log in data and to optimise the user-friendliness of the website.
Analytical cookies: Such as the Google Analytics cookies, which collect information about the use of the website. These capture, among other things, the number of website visitors, the visited pages and the duration of their stay. The collected data is used to improve the service and optimise the content of the website to the wishes and needs of the users.
Garsons has concluded a processor agreement with Google for the use of Google Analytics. This agreement ensures that the Google Analytics cookies have been set in the most privacy-friendly way. Google does not have permission to use information obtained through Garsons for other Google services.
Tracking or advertising cookies: Tracking cookies are cookies that collect data about the (internet) behaviour of the website user. These tracking cookies are used to enable the user to make optimal use of our website. For example, these cookies are used to record information about the visit so that relevant information can be used for the convenience of the user on a subsequent visit, for example by filling in forms or offering ads that match the (search) profile of the user.
Most browsers are set to accept cookies by default, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features and services on our and other websites may not function properly if cookies are disabled in your browser.
We do not sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
If you have any questions or complaints about this Privacy Notice or the way your personal information is processed by us or would like to exercise one of your rights set out above, please contact us by one of the following means:
Tel. 01372 462261 (Esher) or 01329 844336 (Titchfield).
Post: Garsons Esher: Marketing Department, Garsons, Winterdown Road, West End, Esher KT10 8LS
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted by the following means:
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate – calls to this number cost the same as calls to 01 or 02 numbers).
Post: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire
We may update this Privacy Notice at any time by publishing an updated version here. So that you know when we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will amend the revision date at the top of this page. The new modified or amended Privacy Notice will apply from that revision date. Therefore, we encourage you to review this Privacy Notice periodically to be informed about how we are protecting your information.
Do you have questions about our privacy statement, do you want to change or look into your data or have it deleted? Then you can fill in the form below. We will contact you within 4 weeks.