This Privacy notice was last updated on April 2019
This Privacy notice explains what information Thompson Bros (Esher) Ltd. (‘Garsons’, ‘we’, ‘us’, and ‘our’) gather about you, what we use that information for, and who we give that information to. It also sets out your rights in relation to your information and who you can contact for more information or queries. Click on the links to take you to more detailed sections of this Privacy notice.
We take data protection very seriously and we are committed to protecting your personal information. This Privacy notice describes how we handle personal information collected through our website www.garsons.co.uk and by any other means.
It is our policy to collect only the minimum information required from you. If you believe we have collected excessive information about you, please contact us to raise any concerns you may have.
In this Privacy notice your personal information is sometimes called “personal data”. We sometimes collectively refer to handling, collecting, protecting or storing your personal information as ‘processing’.
Although you do not have to provide any of your personal information to us, if we ask you to do so and you refuse, we may be unable to provide you with the information, goods or services you want from us.
Personal information Personal information is anything that enables you to be identified or identifiable, e.g. your name, postal/email address and telephone number.
Collection of personal information
Below are some examples of how you may provide personal information to us:
Use of personal information
When you provide personal information to us, we may use it for any of the purposes described in this Privacy notice or as stated at the point of collection (or as obvious from the context of collection), including:
1. To provide you with the items you have ordered from us
2. To deliver items using our Home Delivery Service
3. To administer and manage our website, including to understand how people use the features and functions of our website in order to improve the user experience
4. To develop our business and services
5. To conduct quality and risk management reviews
6. To monitor and enforce compliance with our policies; and/or
7. Any other purposes for which you provided the information to us, including any of the purposes given in the ‘Collection of personal information’ section above.
We do not collect personal information for sale to or use by third parties.
Legal grounds for processing personal information
We rely on one or more of the following processing conditions:
Security of personal information
We have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security in order to protect personally identifiable information from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction.
Garsons adheres to the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS).
Only authorised persons are provided access to personally identifiable information we have collected, and such individuals have agreed to maintain the confidentiality of this information.
Although we use appropriate security measures once we have received your personal data, the transmission of data over the internet (including by e-mail) is never completely secure.
We endeavour to protect personal data, but we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to or by us.
Sharing personal information
We may transfer, share or disclose the personal data we collect from you to other organisations for:
It is our policy to share your personal information only with other organisations that are bound to maintain appropriate levels of security and confidentiality, to process personal information only as instructed by us, and to flow those same obligations down to their sub-processors.
We share your information with;
International transfers of personal information
Your personal information will not be transferred to and stored outside the country where you are located.
We may also disclose your personal information to law enforcement and other government agencies as required by and/or in accordance with applicable law.
Retention of personal information
We will retain your personal information only for as long as we need it, given the purposes for which it was collected, or as required to do so by law.
Normally, this means we will retain your personal information for 6 years. For more information please contact us; details below.
We keep contact information until a user unsubscribes or requests that we delete that information. If you choose to unsubscribe from our newsletter we may keep certain limited information about you so that we may honour your request.
Where we are legally required to obtain your explicit consent to provide you with marketing materials, we will only provide you with such marketing materials if you have provided consent for us to do so.
If you opt into any subscriptions, you will receive automated emails when content is updated. If you opt into any newsletters, you will receive emails known as newsletters.
Rights in relation to your information
You have certain rights in relation to the personal information we hold about you. In particular, you have the right to:
If you would like to exercise these rights or understand if these rights apply to you, please contact us: https://www.garsons.co.uk/contact-us
We understand the importance of protecting children's privacy and we never knowingly collect personal information about individuals under the age of 18. Children’s activities and events may require children’s first name and occasionally age, but contact details if needed will be those of the guardian. Providing children’s data is voluntary. Data will only be kept for a limited time and will then be destroyed confidentially.
Photography or video footage will never be taken or used without first obtaining permission from whomever is responsible for the individual. A Consent & Release form will be used, to record permissions.
Cookies are very small, completely safe and secure text files which are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website or application. Your web browser (e.g. Safari, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) then sends these files back to the website or application every time you return so that your user personal settings can be recognised. Cookies are useful and help website developers and companies improve your website browsing experience. Some cookies are strictly necessary to enable you to move around the site or to provide certain basic features.
Other types of cookies are used to monitor and improve our website’s functionality and performance.
- Remember your settings during and between visits.
- Allow interaction between our website and social networks like Facebook.
- Gather anonymous data about our users and the way they interact with our website to serve relevant and functional content.
- Continually improve our website for you.
We do not sell the information collected by cookies, nor do we disclose the information to third parties, except where required by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
1. Anonymous analytics cookies: Whenever a user visits our website, web analytics software provided by a third party generates an anonymous analytics cookie. These help us find out whether or not you have visited our website before, how many individual unique users visit the site, what pages they look at most frequently etc. Analytics provide anonymous user behaviour information.
2. Social Website cookies: Our website allows you to ‘Like’ and share content on social media networks like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. This functionality is enabled through use of third party cookies. In this case, privacy implications vary and are dependent on the privacy settings you have chosen when registering with the social media sites. Our site enables sharing through:
3. Session Cookies: Session cookies are used for users’ movement through the website. They allow you to proceed through many pages of a site quickly and easily without having to authenticate or reprocess each new area you visit. Session cookies are not stored on your computer. They expire when you close your web browser.
If you wish to restrict or block web browser cookies on your device, you can do this in your browser settings:
If you use a browser that is not listed above, try the “Help” section of your browser.
If you have any questions or complaints about this Privacy notice or the way your personal information is processed by us, or would like to exercise one of your rights set out above, please contact us by one of the following means:
Tel. 01372 462261 (Esher) or 01329 844336 (Titchfield).
Post Garsons Esher: Garsons, Winterdown Road, West End, Esher KT10 8LS
Post Garsons Titchfield: Garsons Garden Centre, Fontley Road, Titchfield PO15 6QX
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted by the following means:
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate – calls to this number cost the same as calls to 01 or 02 numbers).
Post: Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire
We may update this Privacy notice at any time by publishing an updated version here. So that you know when we make changes to this Privacy statement, we will amend the revision date at the top of this page. The new modified or amended Privacy notice will apply from that revision date. Therefore, we encourage you to review this Privacy notice periodically to be informed about how we are protecting your information.