At Garsons we recognise our responsibility to minimise the company’s impact on the environment. From our earliest days of farming in Esher, we have practised environmentally-friendly policies. Garsons will continue to have a responsible and sustainable approach to our environmental commitments.
The following are some of the initiatives we are committed to on an ongoing basis:
• Where possible, we use materials that are renewable, recycled or recyclable.
• To reduce waste and environmental impact charges for carrier bags apply at Garsons Garden Centre and Farm Shop. All proceeds will be donated to Marine Conservation Society.
• All waste is kept to a minimum, cardboard is collected for recycling, other materials will be targeted for recycling as services become available.
• We aim to promote plants and other items which have environmental benefits.
• Statutory requirements are exceeded where possible.
• There is a programme of reducing electricity usage by replacing older style lighting.
• The Garden Centre heating system is computer controlled to give optimum efficiency and minimise fuel use.
• Environmental aspects are taken into account in the design and management of our premises.
• ‘Low food miles’ and ‘low plant miles’ schemes are in operation, in which products are sourced from local suppliers.
• Jobs are advertised in local papers to encourage employees from the local area, who do not have to travel long distances.
• All our staff are encouraged to share responsibility for good environmental practices.
Garsons at Esher
• Garsons Farming Policy describes the company mission of safe, high quality production combined with sustainable methods and long term commitment to environmentally and socially responsible farming.
• Water usage has halved in the past 15 years. Irrigation for garden centre plants and the farm is provided from the River Mole and methods are used to retain moisture and reduce evaporation.